I had never thought before about how words could also affect learning and teaching in science subjects. Previously, I saw mathematics as being made up of numbers, patterns, algebra, and forms, and I assumed that words only influenced language learning, such as politics, English Literature, and social studies. However, when we teach mathematics through English, the choice of words and expressions can affect students’ understanding. For example, if we want to use fries to describe a straight line, however, in British English, I should use chips instead to help them learn better learning. Small differences in language can influence how clearly mathematical ideas are communicated.
I do agree with that for long-lasting teaching and learning
for students, a relational way could be much better for them, because it is not
just about the content, but helping them to build a structure piece by piece to
finish the whole scale. However, I have different opinions from Dr.Skemp,
instrumental learning may not be as beneficial as relational since it involves
rules and is so traditional, but at the beginning of cognitive of, some
theories, instrumental learning is necessary, where, like playing the piano, we
need to know which key represents which sound.
I liked how you extended Skemp’s “faux amis” idea into the role of language in math teaching — your fries/chips example shows how small differences can confuse students. Your piano analogy also worked well to show why instrumental learning has value at the start. To make this even stronger, you could expand on when instrumental stops being helpful and risks holding students back. Overall, a clear and thoughtful response.
ReplyDelete